PhD in Mathematics - A Doctorate Degree with Endless Possibilities
Blog / September 13, 2022phd in mathematicsphd mathematics syllabusphd in mathematics eligibility
Everything around us is Mathematics. No matter what we are doing or where we are, Math is somehow connected to everything on this planet. It enables us to develop an understanding of the world around us. The development of Science and Technology has only been possible because of the development in Mathematics over the years.
In its current state, the subject has seen fundamental changes in concepts, organization, scope, outlook, and practice. It is believed that Math develops logical and reasonable thinking, enhancing understanding of the world. In addition, Math encourages logical reasoning, critical thinking, creative thinking, abstract or spatial thinking, problem-solving ability, and effective communication skills.
Why Pursue a PhD in Mathematics?
Every day there are new discoveries, and somehow Math plays a crucial role in all of them. And similar is the case with the field of Mathematics itself. There are thesis papers written each day unfolding the vast subject, i.e., Math. People interested in it desire to study it as long as possible, which is why they pursue a PhD in Mathematics.
Now there are different reasons why people start their PhD:
1. Excelling in Career: The highest academic qualification, a PhD degree, can unlock career opportunities that wouldn't necessarily be available to candidates with only a Bachelor's or Master's degree. This is particularly for jobs that require expertise and experience in research techniques.
2. Gaining Additional Skills: PhD is much more than just dissertation papers and viva. You learn different skills along the way, like Presentation and Public Speaking, Teaching, Time Management, Networking, etc. These kinds of skills will be valuable and sought-after in the career ahead.
3. Research: People passionate about research wish to pursue a PhD. This is perhaps the most personal motivation for doing a PhD to gain the enjoyment and sense of fulfillment that one gets from researching a subject of their liking.
4. Making an Original Contribution to the Subject: One of the most obvious reasons is to create something new and significant that will stand alongside the work of previous scholars in your field. This can further open gates to endless possibilities.
Moreover, students pursuing PhD in Mathematics gain ample opportunities to explore this vast field. There are various career prospects after PhD in Mathematics, such as Academia, Postdoctoral Researcher, Finance, Computer Programming, Data Analyst, etc.
Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence (Deemed to be University) - A University with a World-class Reputation for Research Excellence
Shiv Nadar IoE provides Ph.D. in Mathematics, giving an opportunity for graduates to acquire high-level research skills and substantially deepen their knowledge in the area of Mathematics. This program enables students to use theoretical and computational research methods to solve a wide range of problems from the very applied to the most abstract. The program's primary focus is on substantial research on core areas of mathematics leading to the Ph.D. dissertation.
Ph.D. students can also carry out their research in collaboration with faculty in other departments. PhD Mathematics syllabus at Shiv Nadar IoE includes:
- Algebraic Topology
- Integer Partitions
- Differential Geometry
- Machine Learning
- Data Analytics and Medical Imaging
- Complex Networks
- Mathematical Modeling
PhD in Mathematics eligibility at Shiv Nadar IoE is a Master's Degree in Mathematics or related disciplines with at least 60% marks followed by a qualifying exam, a written exam, and an Interview. Students at Shiv Nadar IoE are provided with various opportunities in their research field under the guidance of experts and top-tier faculty members.
“Math is the language of the universe. So, the more equations you know, the more you can converse with the cosmos,” said Neil deGrasse Tyson. Mathematics is a subject of endless possibilities; the more you learn, the more you want to explore. So, to fulfill your passion for the subject, don’t hesitate to start your Ph.D. because, honestly, the ‘Doctor’ before your name makes everything worth the while.