Land into Impactful Research Job in Academia or Policy with a Ph.D. in Economics at Shiv Nadar IoE
Blog / January 10, 2023phd in economicseligibility for phd in economicsphd economics admission
Economics as a subject is a unique course. The students with a graduate or a post-graduate degree in economics are well aware of the fact that they will get rewarding career opportunities in this field. Economics is an interesting subject; therefore, after completing their post graduation, one can go in for a degree like a PhD in Economics as it may always fetch enormous career opportunities.
In order to opt for a Ph.D. in Economics program, the basic requirement is a postgraduate degree in economics. Moreover, for admission into the course, students must meet the eligibility of PhD in Economics set by the university or college offering the course. Most students go for a Ph.D. after completing their post-graduation program because of the enormous career growth it brings.
Further, a PhD in Economics program should only be opted for if an individual has ample interest in research-oriented works. Mostly the Ph.D. programs are opted for by people involved in the Academics field. This may result in a better understanding of the specific field or subject in a better manner.
Career Options After a PhD in Economics
- A significant career option for a student who has completed his/her PhD in Economics is IES (Indian Economic Service) exam which is conducted by the UPSC.
- A Ph.D. in Economics degree is suitable for the teaching profession. There are numerous opportunities available in both government and private sector colleges and universities. The individuals can clear the NET conducted by UGC for lecture posts. The remuneration in this area is pretty good when compared to others.
- A PhD degree will help a candidate to get into the research-oriented teaching profession. The individuals can also get employed in Research labs etc. After PhD in Economics, one can also apply for the Junior Fellowship exams. They enjoy prominent profiles while working in journals, magazines, newspapers, etc., communicating their opinions on different issues.
Contribute to Global Priorities Research with a PhD in Economics at Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence (Deemed to be a University)
The Ph.D. in Economics program imparted by Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence (Deemed to be a University) is a full-time program that includes several areas of research for current faculty members, including Development Economics, Economic Growth, Game Theory and Information Economics, Environmental Economics, Industrial Organisation, Labor Economics, Macroeconomics, Political Economy, and Public Economics.
Eligibility for PhD in Economics at Shiv Nadar IoE
Prospective students must have obtained at least 55% aggregate marks in a post-graduate degree in any discipline. Individuals will be selected based on their performance in the admission process. Applicants who are shortlisted after the first stage of the screening process are given a written test and interviewed.
The written test and the interview will examine the knowledge and thinking ability of the individuals in the following areas:
- Microeconomics: Preference Relations, Choice Rules, Weak Axiom of Revealed Preference, Utility maximization, Utility Representation of Preferences, Profit maximization, Expenditure minimization, Aggregation of individual demand, Production Sets, Cost minimization, Choice under uncertainty, Game theory and strategic interaction and applications (equilibrium concepts for normal form games, games of incomplete information, extensive form games).
- Macroeconomics: Neoclassical growth model – Solow model, Dynamic optimization, Micro-foundations of the dynamic macroeconomic model – consumption as consumer’s optimization problem, fiscal policy, and Ricardian equivalence, investment as firm’s optimization problem, monetary policy (classical dichotomy and money non-neutrality).
- Statistics and Econometrics: Probability theory, Statistical Inference, Heteroskedasticity, Multicollinearity, Misspecified models, Linear Regression Models and Least Squares, Maximum Likelihood Estimation, Endogeneity and Instrumental Variables, Binary Choice Models: Probit and Logit.
- Mathematical Economics: Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Optimisation at a level that is appropriate for post-graduate economics, Concave-convex functions.
Moreover, the future scope and career opportunities for a Ph.D. in Economics graduate are lucrative. Graduates can work in the private, government sector, or academia. For instance, an economist who specializes in education may become a department head or an administrator. A PhD in Economics can also land a research position. Additionally, the Economics and Marketing Journal is an exceptional place to look for jobs.
PhD in Economics - A Decent Chance to Enter into Economics Academia and High Potential Career Opportunities
A PhD in Economics is one of the most attractive graduate degrees that offer a high opportunity to land an impactful research job in academia or policy. In particular, academic economics is one of the best ways of promoting and conducting global priorities research, one of our priority paths. In addition, the degree also lets you have backup options in the corporate sector since the skills you acquire are in demand (unlike many PhD courses).