Department of History and Archaeology & School of Humanities and Social Sciences Offers Fatima Hamid Fieldwork Grant 2023-24: Applications Open
Fatima Hamid joined the Department of History, Shiv Nadar University as a PhD research scholar in August 2021 to work on a project on the history and the diasporic migration of the Lhasa Khache, a Tibetan Muslim community repatriated and now settled in India. Her innovative project was to be based on material culture, ethnography, and archival research, which would have required her to spend extended periods of study in Srinagar, Darjeeling, Kalimpong, and Kathmandu. In February 2022, she was in Darjeeling to collect ethnographic data on women and their memories of their diasporic movement from Tibet. Fatima was passionately interested in writing and giving voice to the Himalayan peoples of Eastern India, which led her to co-found an online forum called The Pomelo. Unfortunately, we lost her in February 2022. Her peers and teachers deeply feel her loss.
In her memory, the Fatima Hamid Field Work Grant has been instituted by the Department of History and Archaeology and the School of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Applications for 2023-24 are now open. The award is for a sum of Rs 50,000/
- Doctoral scholars from the 2nd year onwards of their programme are eligible to apply
- The proposed research should include one or more of the following categories:
- Oral History
iii. Field Survey
- Archival Work
- Material Culture Studies.
Interested applicants are requested to submit/email the following documents to the Head of Department, Dr. Anubhuti Maurya, before 1 October 2023 for consideration:
- A brief synopsis of the research project (max.1200 words)
- Details of budget for the fieldwork grant
- Names and details of archival material to be examined/used or place of fieldwork/details of respondents during the research period.
The successful applicant must submit a work-in-progress report to the HoD and Ph.D. supervisor within two months after completing the grant-based research period.