Faculty at School of Natural Sciences
Epigenetics and Human Disease Laboratory
Our interest is in identification of the role of epigenetic factors in normal cell biology and the study of their implications in various pathological conditions.
My laboratory focuses on the following areas:
1. Nuclear receptor biology: Examining the role of epigenetic factor TIP60 in modulation of nuclear receptor functions
2. Cancer Biology: Investigating the role of epigenetic regulators in prostate & hepatocellular carcinoma
3. Tissue repair and regeneration Biology: Exploring the role of Smed-TIP60 in tissue repair & regeneration phenomenon in planaria
4. Identification of novel targets for antimalarial therapy
B.Sc., Bundelkhand Univeristy
M.Sc., Jiwaji University
Ph.D., Jawaharlal Nehru University
Associate Professor, Department of Life Sciences, Shiv Nadar University, Delhi-NCR
Assistant Professor, Department of Life Sciences, Shiv Nadar University, Delhi-NCR
Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, School of Medicine, University of Virginia, USA
2021, Awarded 'Research Excellence Award-2021' during the Circle of Excellence award ceremony on the special occasion of 10th anniversary celebration of Shiv Nadar University, Delhi NCR
2015, INSA Medal for Young Scientist-2015 by Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi. INSA medal is considered to be highest recognition of promise, creativity, and excellence in a young scientist
2014, Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award-2014 by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, New Delhi. IYBA award is given every year to outstanding young scientists in India to pursue innovative research in the frontier areas of biotechnology
2014, Prof. M.B. Mirza Award-2014 by Indian Society for Parasitology. This award is given for best research work carried out in India in the field of parasitology.
2011, CDMRP US Army Postdoctoral fellowship Award, Goverment of USA
2005, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India, Senior Research Fellowship
2003, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), India, Junior Research Fellowship
2003, Awarded Junior Research Fellowship from Indian Council for Medical research (ICMR), India
2003, Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (Life Sciences)
1. Jaiswal B, Agarwal A and Gupta A* (2022) Lysine Acetyltransferases and Their Role in AR Signaling and Prostate Cancer. Frontiers in Endocrinology 13:886594 (*Corresponding author).
2. Saxena H and Gupta A* (2022) P. falciparum PfRUVBL proteins binds at TARE region and var gene promoter located in subtelomeric region. Pathogens and Disease 80(1):018. (*Corresponding author).
3. Dubey S, Jaiswal B and Gupta A* (2022) TIP60 acts as a regulator of genes involved in filopodia formation and cell migration during wound healing. Journal of Biological Chemistry 298(7):102015. (*Corresponding author).
4. Khurana J, Shrivastava A, Singh A and Gupta A* (2021) Exploring potential of Plasmodium RUVBL proteins as anti-malarial drug target. Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics DOI: 10.1080/07391102.2021.2011418 (*Corresponding author).
5. Nayak A, Saxena H, Bathula C, Kumar T, Bhattacharjee S, Sen S and Gupta A* (2021) Diversity-oriented synthesis derived indole based spiro and fused small molecules kills artemisinin-resistant Plasmodium falciparum. Malaria Journal 20(1):100. (*Corresponding author).
6. Sen U, Nayak A, Khurana J, Sharma D and Gupta A* (2020) Inhibition of PfMYST Histone Acetyltransferase Activity Blocks Plasmodium falciparum Growth and Survival. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 65(1):e00953-20. (*Corresponding author).
7. Bakshi K, Mitra S, Sharma VK, Jayadev MSK, Sakai VG, Mukhopadhyay R, Gupta A* and Ghosh SK* (2020) Imidazolium-based ionic liquids cause mammalian cell death due to modulated structures and dynamics of cellular membrane. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembrane 1862(2):183103 (* Corresponding author).
8. Chalana A, Karri R, Das R, Kumar B, Rai RK, Saxena H, Gupta A, Banerjee M, Jha KK and Roy G (2019) Copper-Driven Deselenization: A Strategy for Selective Conversion of Copper Ion to Nanozyme and Its Implication for Copper-Related Disorders. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 11(5):4766-4776.
9. Priti Kumari, Shraddha Dubey, Sneha Venkatachalapathy, Chintam Narayana, Ashish Gupta* and Ram Sagar* (2019) Synthesis of new triazole linked carbohybrids with ROS-mediated toxicity in breast cancer. New Journal of Chemistry 43: 18590 (* Corresponding author).
10. Luthra T, Nayak AK, Bose S, Chakrabarti S, Gupta A*, Sen S* (2019) Indole based antimalarial compounds targeting the melatonin pathway: Their design, synthesis and biological evaluation. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 168:11-27 (*Corresponding author).
11. Sen U, Saxena H, Khurana J, Nayak A and Gupta A* (2018) Plasmodium falciparum RUVBL3 protein: a novel DNA modifying enzyme and an interacting partner of essential HAT protein MYST. Scientific Reports 8(1):10917 (*Corresponding author).
12. Bhattacharyaa G, Girib RP, Dubey, Mitra S, Priyadarshini R, Gupta A, Mukhopadhyay MK, Ghosha SK (2018) Structural changes in cellular membranes induced by ionic liquids: From model to bacterial membranes. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids 215: 1-10.
13. Sharma R, Sharma B, Gupta A, Dhar SK (2018) Identification of a novel trafficking pathway exporting a replication protein, Orc2 to nucleus via classical secretory pathway in Plasmodium falciparum. Biochim Biophys Acta 1865(5):817-829.
14. Priti Kumari, Chintam Narayana, Shraddha Dubey, Ashish Gupta* and Ram Sagar* (2018) Stereoselective synthesis of natural product inspired carbohydrate fused pyrano [3,2-c]quinolones as antiproliferative agents. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 16(12):2049-2059 (*Corresponding author).
15. Jaiswal B and Gupta A* (2018) Modulation of nuclear receptor function by chromatin modifying factor TIP60. Endocrinology 159(5):2199-2215. (*Corresponding author).
16. Bakshi K, Ranjitha B, Dubey S, Jagannadham J, Jaiswal B, Gupta A* (2017) Novel complex of HAT protein TIP60 and nuclear receptor PXR promotes cell migration and adhesion. Scientific Reports 7(1):3635. (*Corresponding author).
17. Bhattacharya G, Giri RP, Saxena H, Agrawal VV, Gupta A, Mukhopadhyay MK, Ghosh SK (2017) X-ray Reflectivity Study of the Interaction of an Imidazolium-Based Ionic Liquid with a Soft Supported Lipid Membrane. Langmuir 33(5):1295-1304.
18. Deshmukh AS, Agarwal M, Mehra P, Gupta A, Gupta N, Doerig CD and Dhar SK (2015) Regulation of Plasmodium falciparum Origin Recognition Complex subunit 1 (PfORC1) function through phosphorylation mediated by CDK-like kinase PK5. Molecular Microbiology 98(1):17-33.
19. Jha S*, Gupta A*, Dar A and Dutta A (2013) RVBs are required for assembling a functional TIP60 complex. Molecular and Cellular Biology 33(6):1164-74. * Co first author.
20. Gupta A, Jha S, Engel D, Ornelles D and Dutta A (2013) Tip60 Degradation by Adenovirus Relieves Transcriptional Repression of Viral Transcriptional Activator EIA. Oncogene 32(42):5017-25.
21. Deshmukh AS, Srivastava S, Hermann S, Gupta A, Mitra P, Gilberger TW and Dhar SK (2012) The role of N-terminus of Plasmodium falciparum ORC1 in telomeric localization and var gene silencing. Nucleic Acids Research 40: 5313?533.
22. Gupta A, Mehra P, Deshmukh A, Dar A, Mitra P, Roy N., and Dhar S.K. (2009) Functional dissection of the catalytic carboxyl- terminal domain of origin recognition complex subunit1 (PfORC1) of the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. Eukaryotic Cell 8: 1341-1351.
23. Gupta A, Mehra P, and Dhar S.K. (2008) Plasmodium falciparum origin recognition complex subunit 5: functional characterization and role in DNA replication foci formation. Molecular Microbiology 69: 646- 665. (Highlighted by Faculty of 1000).
24. Prusty D, Mehra P, Srivastava S, Shivange A.V., Gupta A, Roy N, and Dhar, S.K. (2008) Nicotinamide inhibits Plasmodium falciparum Sir2 activity in vitro and parasite growth. FEMS Microbiology Letters 282: 266-72.
25. Gupta A, Mehra P, Nitharwal R, Sharma A, Biswas AK and Dhar, S.K. (2006) Analogus expression pattern of Plasmodium falciparum replication initiation proteins PfMCM4 and PfORC1 during the asexual and sexual stages of intraerythrocytic developmental cycle. FEMS Microbiology Letters 261: 12-18.
26. Mehra P, Biswas AK, Gupta A, Gaurinath S, Chitnis C and Dhar S.K. (2005) Expression and characterization of human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum origin recognition complex subunit1. Biochemical Biophysical Research Communication 337: 955-966.
1. Shymal K Goswami, Pramod C. Rath, H.K. Das, Suman K. Dhar, Ashish Gupta. Molecular Biology in Text Book of Biotechnology (5th Edition) by Wiley India (2017) ISBN: 9788126564040.
2. Bharti Jaiswal and Ashish Gupta*. Developments in Medical Biotechnology: Present and Challenges; Biotechnology - Progress and Prospects, Studium Press LLC, Texas, US. (2015) ISBN: 1-62699-059-X and ISBN: 978-162699-059-3 (*Corresponding author).
3. Ashish Gupta, Parul Mehra and Suman K. Dhar. Plasmodium falciparum Origin Recognition Complex (ORC): A master regulator of parasite DNA replication and virulence gene expression. Proceedings of IISc Centenary conference, Mechanisms of Microbial Pathogenesis, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (2009).
1. Dissecting role of essential lysine acetyl transferase protein TIP60 as epigenetic modulator of tissue repair mechanism granted by Science and Engineering Research Board, Government of India. (Principal Investigator) Duration- 2022-2025.
2. Modulation of HAT protein TIP60 by HCV granted by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) grant, Government of India. (Principal Investigator) Duration- 2019-2022.
3. Dissecting the role of histone acetyl transferase TIP60 in modulation of nuclear receptor PXR granted by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) grant, Government of India. (Principal Investigator) Duration- 2017-2020.
4. Application of CRISPR based system for genomic editing of RVB genes of human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum to investigate their role in active histone coding and transcriptional regulation. Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (IYBA) Grant, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India. (Principal Investigator) Duration- 2016-2019.
5. Role of PfRVB proteins in immune evasion of human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum, Young Scientist Grant, Council of Science & Technology, Department of Science and Technology-UP, Government of UP. (Principal Investigator) Duration- 2015-2018.
6. Functional characterization of putative RVB molecules of human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum and its interacting partners. Young Scientist start up grant, Science & Engineering research board (SERB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, 2014-2017 (Principal Investigator) Duration 2014-2017.
7. U.S. Army Department of Defense (CDMRP) Postdoctoral Award Grant for Breast cancer research, Government of USA, 2011-2013 (Principal Investigator) Duration 2011-2013.