Ph.D. Chemistry (Part-Time) Admission Announcement: Spring 2024
The Department of Chemistry in the School of Natural Sciences at Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence (SNIoE), Deemed to be University invites applications for admission in the Part-Time Ph.D. program starting January 2024.
Opportunities for research in chemistry at SNIoE are available in the following broad areas:
- Bio-inorganic Chemistry
- Chemical Biology
- Chemical & Biological Crystallography
- Computational Quantum Chemistry
- Coordination Chemistry
- Green Chemistry
- Materials Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Metalloradical Chemistry
- Natural Product Synthesis
- Physical Chemistry
- Polymer Chemistry
- Protein Chemistry
- Supramolecular Chemistry
- Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- Ultrafast Spectroscopy and Chemical Dynamics
- Asymmetric Catalysis
Please visit https://chemistry.snu.edu.in/people/faculty to know more about the faculty members and their specific research interests.
Eligibility: A candidate should have a Master’s degree in Natural Sciences or M. Tech. in relevant areas, with a minimum of 60 % marks or an equivalent grade point.
Selection Process: Shortlisted candidates will be intimated for appearing in written test and interview.
Fees: Detailed information about the fee structure is available on the website. No tuition fee waivers or stipends are offered to part-time PhD students.
Application Fees: You will be required to pay a non-refundable application fees of Rs. 1,200 (One Thousand Two Hundred Only) online. Candidate may note that the University reserves the right to accept or reject any application based on its departmental screening criteria. Hence, not all application may be shortlisted for written examination. Therefore, no requests for refund of the application fee shall be entertained whether or not the candidates are called for written examination.
All interested applicant shall apply online from the link given below or on the website. Please follow the instructions carefully.
- Fill all the mandatory fields
- Upload of following document is required
- Passport size color photograph
- Current CV
- All Mark sheets/Degree Certificates (10th Standard onwards)
- Standardized Examination certificate- CSIR, UGC, GATE etc. if applicable.
- A Statement of Purpose
Additionally, candidates are requested to provide at least one reference letter, which the referee may send directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the email should clearly mention, “Recommendation letter for the part-time Ph.D. Programme in Chemistry: Applicant’s name”.
Please note that the application will not be considered without all the necessary prescribed documents and application fee.
Online submission of application closes on Monday, 15 Nov 2023.
The dates of written test and interview will be notified in the due course.
The session starts from January 2024.
For any queries related to the application and admission, you may contact:
Ms. Saritha Rajan,
Executive Assistant to the HoD,
Department of Chemistry,
Telephone: +91 120 7170118
About Chemistry Department:
The Department is committed to pursuing research on fundamental and applied problems through scientific inquiry, and to stimulating the development of innovative interdisciplinary research programs around key areas of excellence. The immediate mission of Chemistry Department is to:
- Contribute to the advancement and dissemination of chemical knowledge through educational programs, high quality publications in peer reviewed international journals and innovative patents.
- Devise robust and novel solutions to address the needs of society by promoting research into chemical and interdisciplinary projects.
- Train undergraduate, graduate students and research fellows to generate future independent scientists for serving the needs of society, academia and industries.
Our vision is to make our world a better place through societal-impact cutting-edge research and innovation at Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence, Deemed to be University.
All chemistry labs are equipped with fume-hoods, Schlenk lines, eyewash stations and safety showers. Lab facilities include advanced analytical instruments such as EPR, AFM, Flash Chromatography, Gas Chromatography with MS, Gel Permeation Chromatography, HPLC (Prep & Analytical), FPLC, NMR, LCMS-qToF, MALDI-ToF, DSC, TGA, Single-crystal X-ray Diffractometer, Electrochemical Analyzer, Fluorimeter, TCSPC, Polarimeter, UV-visible, High-resolution FTIR, Raman Spectrometers, Microwave Reactor, Inverted Microscope, Fluorescent Microscope, Host-stage Polarized Microscope, Ferroelectric-Piezoelectric- Pyroelectric test system, Bio-safety Cabinets, CO2 Incubators, Shaker Incubators, Glove box, Multimode Plate Reader, Electroporator, Deep freezer, Cell Counter Computational facilities include a high performance IBM cluster (‘Magus’) consisting of 32 compute nodes (plus 2 nodes with GPU processors) with a total capacity of 30 TF of theoretical peak performance, plus 8 nodes with high-end CPUs. Additionally, several Linux workstations are used for teaching as well as research purpose. Software for bioinformatics and cheminformatics, molecular modeling, molecular dynamics, quantum chemistry, data analysis and statistical learning are also available.
Our library, housed in a modern 5-storey building, provides online access from anywhere in the campus to a large number of electronic journals and databases including APS, AIP, ACS, RSC, AMS, SIAM, Springer, Elsevier, Wiley and Nature journals, in addition to various books, e-books and other learning resources.
Please visit following links to know more about our research laboratories and facilities.
About Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence, Deemed to be University
Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence (SNIoE), Deemed to be University is a comprehensive, multidisciplinary, research-focused and student-centric institution that is bringing a paradigm shift in higher education in India through its innovative curriculum, interdisciplinary focus, and scross-disciplinary thinking across a wide range of disciplines. The University is building an eco-system of knowledge to promote recognition of the inter-connectedness of ideas, systems, and environments in the world inside the campus, and those outside it. The University has 5 Schools, 18 Departments and 6 Research Centers engaged in teaching, practice, and research in disciplines as diverse as Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences, Management, Natural Sciences, Art, Design, Performing Arts, Communication, and Extended Education & Professional Development. The Schools offer Bachelor, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees along with multidisciplinary curriculum to enable students to explore subjects and disciplines that may be widely different from their chosen Majors.
- The University received Institution of Eminence Deemed to be University status by the Government of India in August 2022.
- In the NIRF (Government's National Institutional Ranking Framework), SNIoE has been the youngest institution in the 'top 100' Overall list, and the score has been rising steadily. SNIoE ranked 62 in the University category, and 95 'Overall' in NIRF 2023.
- The University has been accredited with ‘A’ Grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), valid for a period of 5 years from 26 November 2019.
- SNIoE is also among a select group of green-field institutions in the country, which were awarded the prestigious Atal Incubation Center grant by the Niti Aayog, Government of India, in the very first round in 2017.