Faculty at School of Humanities and Social Sciences
I teach courses such as 'Introduction to Archaeology', 'Field Methods in Archeology' , 'Temples, tombs and warriors: a comparative archaeology of China and India', and 'Archaeology of Landscapes'
2011, Doctorate, Museum of Anthropology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor USA
2021, Award for Innovation and Excellence in Teaching, SNU Circle of Excellence Awards
- 2021, 'Agro-pastoralism, Archaeology and Religious Landscapes in Early Medieval South India'. In The Medieval History Journal, 24 (1-2), 207-243. Mudit Mudit, Hemanth Kadambi and Supriya Varma.
- 2021, Archaeologies of the Medieval in South Asia. Co-editors of a Special Issue of The Medieval History Journal, 24 (1-2).
- Kadambi, Hemanth, 2019. Ancient India: identities, boundaries and cultural practices. Edited by Hemanth Kadambi and D.A. Prasanna. Manipal: Manipal Universal Press.
- Kadambi, Hemanth 2019. 'Archaeology of Identity: Early Chalukya Landscapes (June 2019) in Ancient India: Identity, Boundaries, Cultural Practices'. In Hemanth Kadambi and D.A. Prasanna (eds.), pp. 101-136. Manipal: Manipal Universal Press.
- Kadambi, Hemanth 2007. 'Negotiated Pasts and the memorialized present in Ancient India: Chalukyas of Vatapi'. In Negotiating the Past in the Past: Identity, Memory, and Landscape in Archaeological Research, ed. Norman Yoffee, pp. 155-182. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
- Kadambi, Hemanth (in preparation) 'Political landscapes in early medieval Indian Kingship: the Chalukyas of Vatapi'
- Kadambi, Hemanth 2018. Early Chalukya Architecture and Archaeology: an essay. SAHAPEDIA article and online video.
- Roundtable discussion participant in Towards a Critical Historical Archaeology of South Asia, conducted at the Theoretical Archaeology Group (TAG) meeting at Stanford University, USA, May 2021.
- Early Chalukya Landscapes: temples and beyond. Bengaluru Historian's Society Webinar, India, March 7, 2021.
- Reimagining South India's Past: archaeology, heritage-making and the public. INTACH-NIAS Webinar series 'Back and Forth', India, June, 2020.
- Participated in a lecture/discussion titled 'From Source to Survey: Reading and Interpreting Primary Sources', Ijtihad, the History Association at the Lady Shriram College for Women, New Delhi, India, Feb. 2020.
- 'Archaeological record formation' and 'Archaeological Research Methods': two lectures delivered at the Institute of Archaeology, Archaeological Survey of India, Greater NOIDA, India, Nov. 2019.
- Constituting identity within early medieval landscapes of South India: the Chalukyas of Badami (ca. 550-750 CE). Lecture delivered at Department of History, Delhi University, India, September 2017.
- The concept of the state in early medieval India: recent archaeological and historical evidence. Lecture delivered at the History Society of St. Stephen's College, Delhi, India, September 2017.
- Constituting identity within early medieval landscapes of South India: the Chalukyas of Badami (ca. 550-750 CE). Lecture delivered at Shiv Nadar University, Greater NOIDA, India, September 2017.
- Constituting identity within early medieval landscapes of South India: the Chalukyas of Badami (ca. 550-750 CE). Lecture delivered at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, September 2017.
- Constituting identity within early medieval landscapes of South India: the Chalukyas of Badami (ca. 550-750 CE). Lecture delivered at Azim Premji University, Bangalore, India, August 2017.
- Field Survey supervisor and assistant, MANDU Project of French National Research Agency and IFP (French Institute of Research, Pondicherry), Mandu, Madhya Pradesh, India (March 2020, March 2022, May 2022), co-PIs Dr. Anne Casile (French Institute Pondicherry), Dr. Supriya Varma (Center for Historical Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University).
- Field Survey assistant, Maski, Karnataka, India (July 2014) on the Maski Archaeological Research Project (MARP) conducted by Drs. Andrew Bauer (Stanford University, California) and Peter Johansen (University of British Columbia, Canada).
- PI for my Doctoral Dissertation project: 'Early Chalukya Urban Landscape Survey (ECULS) Systematic archaeological survey Aihole, Karnataka, India, (January-December 2007 and May-July 2008).
- Pre-dissertation archaeological surveys, Badami and Aihole, Karnataka, India, (June-August 2004, June-August 2003, July 2002).
- Excavation crew chief, Homol'ovi, Arizona, (May-July 2006). Supervisor: Dr. Lisa Young (University of Michigan, Museum of Anthropology).
- Field Survey assistant, Texcoco, Mexico, (June-Aug 2003, June-July 2004) Supervisors: Prof. Jeffrey R. Parsons (University of Michigan, Museum of Anthropology) and Luis Morett Alatore (Director, Universidad Autonoma Chapingo).
- Excavation crew member, Karnataka, India, (January-February 2003) Supervisors: Prof. Carla M. Sinopoli (University of Michigan, Museum of Anthropology) and Prof. Kathleen D. Morrison (University of Chicago, Department of Anthropology) and Karnataka Department of Archaeology and Museums, Mysore.
- Excavation crew chief, Seco creek Rio Grande river, New Mexico, USA (May-July 2002) Supervisors: Prof. Margaret Nelson (University of Arizona)) and Prof. Michelle Hegmon (Arizona State University).