Faculty at School of Natural Sciences
Dean, School of Natural Sciences
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The School of Natural Sciences is integral to Shiv Nadar University's vision of becoming an institution of global stature and impact. We provide students with an international environment in a local setting with innovative and engaging teaching methods and offer a wide range of physical and biological sciences subjects across Chemistry, Life Sciences, Mathematics, and Physics at the undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels.
The School's vision is to lead the way in scientific research and development through the study and application of natural sciences, creating a highly productive scientific workforce, and fostering a true scientific temper in society.
Our pedagogy reflects our cognizance of the blurring of lines between different sciences. With multidisciplinarity at the core of our educational offer, students can choose from the broad spectrum of program offerings within the natural sciences discipline or outside of it.
As an institution that's focused on driving cutting-edge research, we continuously push frontiers of knowledge to achieve research excellence across diverse disciplines.
The School also runs some of the University's key research centers that operate in data analytics and computation, advanced materials, informatics, and translational biology. The research is enabled by the many state-of-the-art laboratories and computational facilities established in the School.
- Role of chromatin architecture in regulation of gene expression
- Regulation of global gene expression during development, differentiation and disease
- Evolution of epigenetic mechanisms
- Indian Institute Of Science (1989-1995), Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Ph.D
- University of Poona (1987-1989), Biotechnology, M.Sc.
- Sir Parashurambhau College (1984-1987), Zoology, B.Sc.
- Professor and Dean June 2021 – Till date Shiv Nadar University, Delhi NCR
- Professor May 2010-May 2021 Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
- Scientist F April 2007- April 2010 National Centre for Cell Science NCCS complex, Pune, India
- Scientist E April 2004-March 2007 National Centre for Cell Science NCCS complex, Pune, India
- Scientist D March 2001-March 2004 National Centre for Cell Science NCCS complex, Pune, India
- Postdoctoral Fellow Oct. 1996-Feb. 2001 Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory University of California Berkeley, CA, USA
- Postdoctoral Fellow Feb. 1996-Sept. 1996 The Burnham Institute La Jolla Cancer Research Center La Jolla, CA, USA
- Elected member of the American Association for Cancer Research, 1999
- Member of American Society for Microbiology (ASM), 2005-2010
- Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, 2010
- Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, 2012
- Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, 2017
- Recipient of the ‘JC Bose Fellowship-2019’ from DST-SERB.
- Recipient of the ‘GD Birla Award-2014’ for Scientific Excellence from the KK Birla Foundation, New Delhi.
- Recipient of the ‘Shantiswaroop Bhatnagar Award-2010’ from the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
- Recipient of the ‘Swarnajayanti Fellowship-2007’ from the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- Recipient of the ‘National Bioscience Award for Career Development-2006’ from the Department of Biotechnology (DBT).
- Mahajan S., Sen S., Sunil A., Srikanth P., Marathe S.D, Shaw K., Sahare M., Galande S.#, and Abraham N.A.# Knockout of ACE2 receptors lead to morphological aberrations in rodent olfactory centers and dysfunctions associated with sense of smell. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 17:1180868. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2023.1180868
- Gungi, A., Saha, S., Pal, M. and Galande, S.#, 2023. H4K20me1 plays a dual role in transcriptional regulation of regeneration and axis patterning in Hydra. Life Science Alliance, 6(5). https://doi.org/10.26508/lsa.202201619.
- Chee, J.M., Lanoue, L., Clary, D., Higgins, K., Bower, L., Flenniken, A., Guo, R., Adams, D.J., Bosch, F., Braun, R.E., Brown, S.D., H.‑J. Genie Chin, Dickinson, M.E., Hsu C.-W., Dobbie M., Gao X., Galande S., Grobler A., Heaney J.D., Herault Y., de Angelis M.H., Mammano F., Nutter L.M.J., Parkinson H., Qin C., Shiroishi T., Sedlacek R., Seong J.-K., Xu Y., The International Mouse Phenotyping Consortium, Brooks B., McKerlie C., Lloyd K.C.K., Westerberg H. and Moshiri A. 2023. Genome-wide screening reveals the genetic basis of mammalian embryonic eye development. BMC Biology, 21:1-15.
- O'Rourke, M.B., Januszewski, A.S., Sullivan, D.R., Lengyel, I., Stewart, A.J., Arya, S., Ma, R.C., Galande, S., Hardikar, A.A., Joglekar, M.V. and Keech, A.C., Jenkins A.J., Molloy M. P., 2023. Optimised plasma sample preparation and LC‐MS analysis to support large‐scale proteomic analysis of clinical trial specimens: Application to the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) trial. PROTEOMICS–Clinical Applications, 17: p.2200106.
- Khare, S.P. *, Madhok, A. *, Patta, I., Sukla, K.K., Wagh, V.V., Kunte, P.S., Raut, D., Bhat, D., Kumaran, K., Fall, C. and Tatu, U., Chandak G.R., Yajnik C. S. #, Galande, S. # Differential expression of genes influencing mitotic processes in cord blood mononuclear cells after a pre-conceptional micronutrient-based randomised controlled trial: Pune Rural Intervention in Young Adolescents (PRIYA). Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, 14: 437–448. doi: 10.1017/S204017442200068X
- Higgins, K., Moore, B.A., Berberovic, Z., Adissu, H.A., Eskandarian, M., Flenniken, A.M., Shao, A., Imai, D.M., Clary, D., Lanoue, L. and Newbigging, S., Nutter L.M.J., Adams D.J., Bosch F., Braun R.E, Brown S.D.M., Dickinson M.E., Dobbie M., Flicek P., Gao X., Galande S., Grobler A., Heaney J.D., Herault Y., de Angelis M.H., Chin H.-J. G., Mammano F., Qin C., Shiroishi T, Sedlacek R., Seong J.‑K., Xu Y., The IMPC Consortium, Lloyd K.C.K., McKerlie C., and Moshiri A. 2022. Analysis of genome-wide knockout mouse database identifies candidate ciliopathy genes. Scientific Reports, 12: p.20791.
- Ankitha Shetty, Subhash Kumar Tripathi, Sini Junttila, Tanja Buchacher, Rahul Biradar, Santosh D Bhosale, Tapio Envall, Asta Laiho, Robert Moulder, Omid Rasool, Galande S., Laura L Elo, Riitta Lahesmaa. 2022. A systematic comparison of FOSL1, FOSL2 and BATF-mediated transcriptional regulation during early human Th17 differentiation. Nucleic Acids Research, 50: 4938-4958.
- Pradhan SJ, Reddy PC, Smutny M, Sharma A, Sako K, Oak MS, Shah R, Pal M, Deshpande O, Dsilva G, Tang Y, Mishra R, Deshpande G, Giraldez AJ, Sonawane M, Heisenberg CP, Galande S. Satb2 acts as a gatekeeper for major developmental transitions during early vertebrate embryogenesis. Nature Communications. 2021 Oct 19;12(1):6094. doi: 10.1038/s41467-021-26234-7. PMID: 34667153; PMCID: PMC8526749.
- Ayush Madhok, Sajad Ahmad Bhat, Chinna Susan Philip, Shalini Kashipathi Sureshbabu, Shubhada Chiplunkar, Galande S. #, Transcriptome Signature of Vγ9Vδ2 T Cells Treated With Phosphoantigens and Notch Inhibitor Reveals Interplay Between TCR and Notch Signaling Pathways. 2021. Frontiers in Immunology 12: 660361.
- Rini Shah, Ankita Sharma, Ashwin Kelkar, Kundan Sengupta, Galande S.#, A Novel cis Regulatory Element Regulates Human XIST in a CTCF-Dependent Manner. 2021. Molecular and Cellular Biology 41: e00382-20.
- KC Kent Lloyd, David J Adams, Gareth Baynam, Arthur L Beaudet, Fatima Bosch, Kym M Boycott, Robert E Braun, Mark Caulfield, Ronald Cohn, Mary E Dickinson, Michael S Dobbie, Ann M Flenniken, Paul Flicek, Galande S., Xiang Gao, Anne Grobler, Jason D Heaney, Yann Herault, Martin Hrabě De Angelis, James R Lupski, Stanislas Lyonnet, Ann-Marie Mallon, Fabio Mammano, Calum A MacRae, Roderick McInnes, Colin McKerlie, Terrence F Meehan, Stephen A Murray, Lauryl MJ Nutter, Yuichi Obata, Helen Parkinson, Michael S Pepper, Radislav Sedlacek, Je Kyung Seong, Toshihiko Shiroishi, Damian Smedley, Glauco Tocchini-Valentini, David Valle, Chi-Kuang Leo Wang, Sara Wells, Jacqueline White, Wolfgang Wurst, Ying Xu, Steve DM Brown. 2020. The Deep Genome Project. Genome Biology 21: 1-6.
- Suyash Naik, Manu Unni, Devanshu Sinha, Shatruhan Singh Rajput, Puli Chandramouli Reddy, Elena Kartvelishvily, Inna Solomonov, Irit Sagi, Apratim Chatterji, Shivprasad Patil#, Galande S#. 2020. Differential tissue stiffness of body column facilitates locomotion of Hydra on solid substrates. Journal of Experimental Biology 223: jeb232702.
- Indumathi Patta, Ayush Madhok, Satyajeet Khare, Kamalvishnu P Gottimukkala, Anjali Verma, Shilpi Giri, Vishal Dandewad, Vasudevan Seshadri, Girdhari Lal, Jyoti Misra-Sen, Galande S#. 2020. Dynamic regulation of chromatin organizer SATB1 via TCR-induced alternative promoter switch during T-cell development. Nucleic Acids Research 48: 5873-5890.
- Puli Chandramouli Reddy, Akhila Gungi, Suyog Ubhe, Saurabh J Pradhan, Amol Kolte, Galande S. 2019. Molecular signature of an ancient organizer regulated by Wnt/β-catenin signalling during primary body axis patterning in Hydra. Communications Biology 2: 434.
- Vijaykumar Yogesh Muley, Yusuf Akhter, Galande S#. 2019. PDZ Domains Across the Microbial World: Molecular Link to the Proteases, Stress Response, and Protein Synthesis. Genome Biology and Evolution 11: 644-659.
- Subhash K Tripathi, Tommi Välikangas, Ankitha Shetty, Mohd Moin Khan, Robert Moulder, Santosh D Bhosale, Elina Komsi, Verna Salo, Rafael Sales De Albuquerque, Omid Rasool, Galande S., Laura L Elo, Riitta Lahesmaa. 2019. Quantitative proteomics reveals the dynamic protein landscape during initiation of human Th17 cell polarization. iScience 11: 334-355.
- Books/ chapters: 5
- Research Papers: 93
- General articles: 2
- Patents : 2 (granted) + 1 filed