Faculty at School of Natural Sciences
Samit's research interests lie at the interface of Mathematics, Biology and Statistics. Using mathematical tools such as nonlinear dynamics, game theory and optimization, he tries to understand complexities at the population and individual level of ecology and evolution of infectious diseases of humans and wildlife, including childhood infections and emerging infectious diseases. Specifically, he is interested in spatiotemporal dynamics of infectious disease, the ecology of disease and management, impact of social norms and human behavior in disease and policymaking.
2006 Ph.D. in Mathematical Biology, University of Calcutta
- 08/2019 - Present, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics, School of Natural Sciences, Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence, Delhi-NCR
- 07/2015 – 07/2019, Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics, School of Natural Sciences, Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence, Delhi-NCR
- 01/2019 – 07/2019, Adjunct Faculty, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, School of Engineering, Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence, Delhi-NCR
- 11/2012 – 06/2015, Research Associate, Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
- 11/2010 – 10/2012, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Mathematics and Biology, School of Medicine, University of Utah, USA
- 02/2009 – 10/2010, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Guelph, Canada
- 03/2010 – 05/2010, Internship in Canadian Consortium for Pandemic Preparedness Modeling, Division of Mathematical Modeling, University of British Colombia Centre for Disease Control, Canada
- 01/2007 -01/2009, DBT-Postdoctoral Fellow, Mathematical and Computational Biology Group, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, India
Computational Methods Mathematical Modelling Network Science
- Received travel grant from SERB, 2023
- Society for Mathematical Biology (SMB) travel grant – April, 2019
- Early Research Career Award - Department of Science and Technology (DST), India – October, 2016
- Canadian Consortium for Pandemic Preparedness Modeling, Division of Mathematical Modeling, University of British Colombia Centre for Disease Control, Canada, research grant for Internship – March, 2010 - May, 2010
- Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Postdoctoral Fellowship – December, 2006
- European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ESMTB) travel grant – July, 2005
- Society for Mathematical Biology (SMB) travel grant – March, 2004
- National Boards for Higher Mathematics (NBHM) travel grant – October, 2003
- 2003 – Present, Society for Mathematical Biology (SMB)
- 2005 – 2007, European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ESMTB)
- S Bhattacharyya*, et al. (2023) Onchocerciasis-associated epilepsy in Maridi, South Sudan: Modelling and exploring the impact of control measures against river blindness - PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases 17.5, e0011320.
- Laxmi, CN Ngonghala, S Bhattacharyya* (2022) An evolutionary game model of individual choices and bed net use: elucidating key aspect in malaria elimination strategies - Royal Society Open Science, 9 (11), 220685.
- B Malik, H Farooqi, Samit Bhattacharyya* (2022) Disparity in socio-economic status explains the pattern of self-medication of antibiotics in India: understanding from game-theoretic per- spective - Royal Soc. Open Science, 9, 211872.
- A Deka, and Samit Bhattacharyya* (2022) Can human vaccinating behaviour influence mutant invasion altering pathogen competition? An imitation dynamic approach - Theor. Pop. Biol. 143, 62-76.
- A Deka, B Pantha, & Samit Bhattacharyya*(2020) Optimal Management of Public Perceptions During A Flu Outbreak: A Game-Theoretic Perspective. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 82(11), 1-23.
- Bhawna Malik and Samit Bhattacharyya* (2019) Antibiotic drug-resistance as a complex system driven by socio-economic growth and antibiotic misuse – Scientific Reports 9(1), 1-12.
- Samit Bhattacharyya*, A Vutha, CT Bauch (2019) The impact of rare but severe vaccine adverse events on behaviour-disease dynamics: a network model – Scientific Reports 9(1), 7164.
- Samit Bhattacharyya*, Per H. Gesteland, Kent Korgenski, Ottar N. Bjornstad and Frederick R. Adler (2015) Cross-immunity between strains explains the dynamical pattern of paramyxoviruses, Proceedings of National Academy of Science, USA, 112 (43), 13396-13400.
- Samit Bhattacharyya*, T Reluga (2018) Game dynamic model of social distancing while cost of infection varies with epidemic burden - IMA journal of Applied Mathematics, 84(1), 23-43.
- Bauch C. T. and Samit Bhattacharyya (2012). Social learning and evolutionary game dynamics determine how vaccine scares unfold -PLoS Comput. Biol., 8(4): e1002452.
For detailed access of Publications, you may refer to my Google Scholar Profile
- Indian pollution scenarios of PM10 and PM2.5: Local measurement to regional emission modeling through atmospheric chemistry, health impact assessment and spatial distributions, jointly with - School of Engineering, SNIoE, FGIR/2023/Proposal/19 - 2 years (Jul, 2023 - June 2025).
- Game- theoretic approach of modelling and estimating the impact of human migration behaviour on malaria endemicity in Sub-Saharan Africa jointly with University of Heidelberg, Germany, DST, India -DAAD, Germany - 2 years collaborative project (Jun, 2023 - May 2025).
- Estimating disease burden of Onchocerciasis associated epilepsy (OAE) and its impact on socioeconomic growth in Onchocerciasis endemic areas in Africa jointly with Global Health Institute, University of Antwerp, Belgium, European Research Council (ERC) and Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) - 3 year joint funding for collaborative project (June 2018 - May 2020).
- Game-theoretic Approach of Modeling Antibiotic Drug Resistance as Self-Reinforcing Process by Social Factors and Economic Growth, Department of Science & Technology (DST), India (under ECR scheme: ECR/2016/000591) - 3 years funding for the project (Jan, 2017 - Jan 2019).
Scientific Reports, Nature
Austin Journal of Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics
Nature communication, Scientific Reports, Proceedings of Royal Soc. B, Royal Soc. Interface, BMC Infectious disease, Chaos Solitons and Fractals, Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine (CMMM), PLoS ONE, Vaccine, Nonlinear Analysis: Modelling and Control, Applied Mathematical Modelling (AMM), Ecological Modelling (EM), Journal of Theoretical Bi- ology (JTB), Theoretical Population Biology (TPB), Mathematical Biosciences (MBS), Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computation (JAMC), Journal of Biological Systems (JBS)