Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering Admission Announcement: Spring 2024
The Mechanical Engineering Department in the School of Engineering at Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence (deemed to be University) invites applications for admission in the Full time/ Part time Ph.D. program. The broad research areas of the Mechanical Engineering Department for the present call are given below.
BROAD RESEARCH AREAS
Material Science and Manufacturing
Additive manufacturing, Biomimetics, Tribology, Polymer science, Functional surfaces, Thermal spray coatings, Surface modifications, Composite structures, Computational Materials Science, Electrochemical energy storage devices, Green hydrogen generation, Catalysis.
Fluid and Thermal Engineering
Computational fluid dynamics, Solar energy/Thermal, Adsorption/Absorption cooling, Thermal storage materials, Desalination, Battery thermal management, Multiphase flows.
Solid Mechanics & Design
Nonlinear dynamics and aeroelasticity, Composite structures.
Robotics & Automation, Production & Industrial Engineering
Robotics, Mechatronics and control, Bio-inspired robots, Smart manufacturing, Industrial engineering, Quality control, Supply chain analytics, Predictive analytics, and Reliability engineering.
Many of our research projects are interdisciplinary in nature, involving collaborations with other schools and research centers of the university. More details on the research interests of our faculty can be found by clicking here.
- M. Tech. / M.E. or equivalent degree in Mechanical / Aeronautical / Aerospace / Automobile / Production and Industrial Engineering / Material Science and Engineering/ Nano Science and Technology / Chemical Engineering / Structures, Electronics / Robotics / relevant discipline with a minimum of 60% marks or an equivalent grade point (CGPA of 6.5/10) from a recognized technical institute or university.
Direct B.Tech/M.Sc to Ph.D
- Candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical / Aerospace / Production and Industrial Engineering / Material Science and Engineering / Nano Science and Technology OR B. Tech/M.Sc. in a relevant discipline with a minimum of 70% marks or an equivalent grade point (CGPA of 7.5/10).
The eligibility criteria mentioned above are minimum standards and applications not meeting the same will be summarily rejected. Short-listed candidates will be required to demonstrate their knowledge through a written test and an interview. Selections will be based on past academic performance, written examination, and interview. Candidates with valid GATE score ≥ 95 percentile are exempted from the written test.
Please note that not all candidates meeting the minimum eligibility criteria may be shortlisted. The department reserves the right to alter the eligibility requirements, selection criteria, and course specifications as and when required.
The shortlisting will be done based on the complete application material received (including the academic qualification, statement of purpose, and reference letters). Shortlisted candidates will be invited to appear in a written test and an interview. Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected.
SYLLABUS FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERING WRITTEN TEST
Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential equations, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods.
Strength of Materials, Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer, Thermodynamics, IC Engines, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Theory of Machines, Machine Design, Turbomachines, Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Robotics, Operations Research, Production Planning and Control, Engineering Materials, Surface Engineering and Tribology, Renewable Energy Technology, Production Technology.
PART-TIME PH.D. PROGRAM REGULATIONS
Qualified candidates unable to attend SNIoE on a Full-Time basis may choose to pursue a part-time Ph.D. program. SNIoE does not provide fellowship/assistantship to such candidates. The candidate can be self-sponsored or sponsored by other organizations.
Eligibility criteria for Part-Time Ph.D. candidates is the same as that for full-time candidates. Additional criteria (geographic limitations, minimum experience levels, etc.) shall be imposed by the department. A part-time Ph.D. external (sponsored) candidate has to provide a no-objection certificate from his/her employer before admission and must have work experience of at least 2 years.
Residence Requirement for Part-Time candidates
A compulsory residency period of six months is required at the SNIoE campus. However, this period can be spread across the term of the Ph.D. program.
The minimum duration of part-time Ph.D. studies is 6 semesters (3 years). The maximum duration of the program cannot exceed 12 semesters (6 years). However, an extension of one year may be provided by the Dean of the school on case-by-case basis.
For further enquiry or information, visit our website:
Mr. Bhupender Verma,
Mechanical Engineering Department School of Engineering
Shiv Nadar University
P.O. SNU, NH-91, Tehsil Dadri
District Gautam Buddha Nagar, UP 201314
Dr. Divya Shrivastava, email@example.com
(Faculty-in-charge, Post Graduate Programs, MED).
About Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence, Deemed to be University
Shiv Nadar Institution of Eminence (SNIoE), Deemed to be University is a comprehensive, multidisciplinary, research-focused and student-centric institution that is bringing a paradigm shift in higher education in India through its innovative curriculum, interdisciplinary focus, and scross-disciplinary thinking across a wide range of disciplines. The University is building an eco-system of knowledge to promote recognition of the inter-connectedness of ideas, systems, and environments in the world inside the campus, and those outside it. The University has 5 Schools, 18 Departments and 6 Research Centers engaged in teaching, practice, and research in disciplines as diverse as Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences, Management, Natural Sciences, Art, Design, Performing Arts, Communication, and Extended Education & Professional Development. The Schools offer Bachelor, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees along with multidisciplinary curriculum to enable students to explore subjects and disciplines that may be widely different from their chosen Majors.
- The University received Institution of Eminence Deemed to be University status by the Government of India in August 2022.
- In the NIRF (Government's National Institutional Ranking Framework), SNIoE has been the youngest institution in the 'top 100' Overall list, and the score has been rising steadily. SNIoE ranked 62 in the University category, and 95 'Overall' in NIRF 2023.
- The University has been accredited with ‘A’ Grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), valid for a period of 5 years from 26 November 2019.
- SNIoE is also among a select group of green-field institutions in the country, which were awarded the prestigious Atal Incubation Center grant by the Niti Aayog, Government of India, in the very first round in 2017.