Ram Sagar Misra
Department of Chemistry,
School of Natural Sciences
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD- Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI) Lucknow, India (2006)
(Organic Synthesis, Medicinal Chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry)
MSc- University of Lucknow, India (2001)
(Chemistry with specialization in Organic Chemistry, 1st Division)
BSc- University of Lucknow, India (1998)
(Chemistry, Zoology and Botany, 1st Division)
- Assistant Professor (2012- present), in Chemistry, School of Natural Sciences, Shiv Nadar University, India.
- Senior Postdoctoral Research Fellow (2008 - 2012), in Department of Chemistry, Chemistry Research Laboratory,
University of Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow (2007 - 2008), in Department of Chemistry,
Seoul National University, South Korea.
- Research Associate (2006 - 2007), in Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of
Technology, Kanpur (IITK) India.
- Design and synthesis diversified bioactive small molecules and their application in chemical biology and medicinal chemistry.
- Investigation of novel reaction pathways and development of new synthetic reagents/pathways in organic synthesis.
- Synthesis of Heterocyles and imino-sugars on the concept of Diversity Oriented Synthesis and Fragment Based Drug Design.
- Synthetic Carbohydrate chemistry and new methodology on sugar molecules.
- Synthesis of stereochemically pure biomarkers from carbohydrate precursors.
- Sugar signaling in living system, Peptide chemistry and preparation of glycoconjugates.
- Glycal Derived δ-Hydroxy α,β-unsaturated aldehydes (Perlin aldehydes): A Versatile Building Block in Organic Synthesis. L. V. R. Reddy, Vikas Kumar, Ram Sagar, and Arun K. Shaw Chem. Rev. 2013, DOI: 10.1021/ cr200016m [IF 40.12]
- Inhibition of SnRK1 by metabolites: Tissue-dependent effects and cooperative inhibition by glucose 1-phosphate in combination with trehalose 6-phosphate. C. Nunes, Lucia F. Primavesi, Mitul K. Patel, E. Martinez-Barajas, S. J. Powers, Ram Sagar, P. S. Fevereiro, Benjamin G. Davis, Matthew J. Paul Plant Physiol. Biochem. 2013, 63, 89-98. [IF 2.84]
- Conformational Effects in Sugar Ions: Spectroscopic Investigations in the Gas Phase and in Solution. Ram Sagar, Svemir Rudic, et al John P Simons and Benjamin G. Davis. Chem Sci. 2012, 3, 2307-2313.[IF 7.52]
- Diastereoselective Synthesis of Polycyclic Acetal-Fused Pyrano[3,2-c]pyran-5(2H)-one derivatives. Ram Sagar, Jongmin Park, Minseob Koh and Seung Bum Park. J. Org. Chem. 2009, 74, 2171-2174. [IF 4.00]
- Stereoselective synthesis of safingol and its natural stereoisomer from D-glycals. Hariprasad Kokatala, Ram Sagar and Yashvant D. Vankar, Tetrahedron Lett. 2008, 49, 4728-4730. [IF 2.61]
- Facile and efficient synthesis of carbohybrids as stereodivergent drug like small molecules. Ram Sagar and Seung Bum Park. J. Org. Chem. 2008, 73, 3270-3273. [IF 4.00]
- C-3 Alkyl/Arylalkyl-2,3-dideoxy Hex-2-enopyranosides as Antitubercular Agents: Synthesis, Biological Evaluation, and QSAR Study. Mohammad Saquib, Manish K. Gupta, Ram Sagar, Yenamandra S. Prabhakar, Arun K. Shaw et al. J. Med. Chem. 2007, 50, 2942-2950. [IF 5.20]
- A consecutive approach towards the stereoselective synthesis of trisubstituted THF domains. Ram Sagar, L.Vijaya Raghava Reddy, Mohammad Saquib, Brijesh Kumar and Arun K. Shaw, Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 2006, 17, 3294-3299.[IF 2.48]
- CP-MLR directed QSAR studies on the antimycobacterial activity of functionalized alkenols-topological descriptors in modeling the activity. Manish K. Gupta, Ram Sagar, Arun K. Shaw and Yenamandra S. Prabhakar, Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2005, 13, 343-351. [IF 2.97]
- A Substrate controlled, very high diastereoselective Mortia-Baylis-Hillman reaction: a remote activation on the diastereofacial selectivity in synthesis of C-3-branched deoxysugars. Ram Sagar, C. S. Pant and R. Pathak and Arun K. Shaw, Tetrahedron 2004, 60, 11399-11406. [IF 2.98]
- Reinvestigation of the mercuration-demercuration reaction on alkylated glycals: an improved method for the preparation of 2,3-dideoxy-α,β-unsaturated carbohydrate enals. Ram Sagar, Rashmi Pathak and Arun K. Shaw, Carbohydr. Res. 2004, 339, 2031-2035. [IF 2.33]
- Modification of trehalose-6-phosphate in plants. Ram Sagar, Lucia F. Primevessi, Matthew J. Paul and Benjamin G. Davis. PCT Patent 2012 (PCT/GB12/050891).
- Metabolic Intervention in plant T6P Metabolism. Ram Sagar, Lucia F. Primevessi, Matthew J. Paul, Mitul K. Patel, Conor S. Barry and Benjamin G. Davis. UK Patent 2011 (No. 01107031.5) 26.04.2011
- C-3-alkyl and arylalkyl substituted 2,3-dideoxy glucopyranosides as potential anti-tubercular agents and a process for preparation thereof. Ram Sagar, Mohd Saquib, Arun K. Shaw, Anil N. Gaikwad, Sudhir K Sinha, Anil Srivastava, Vinita Chaturvedi, Manju Y. K. Ranjana Srivastava and B. S. Srivastava. Indian Patent (No. 0533DEL2006) 28.02.2006 (Ref. No. 0210NF2005).
- Taught organic chemistry upto class of fifty undergraduate students as a guest faculty in BSNV Post graduate college, University of Lucknow, India.
- Design practical courses in chemistry for undergraduate students and supervision to run their experiments and analyse the results.
- Private tutorials to undergraduate and higher secondary students in Oxford.
- I have some online teaching experience because I worked as an academic coach in India.
- Trained junior lab members in practical techniques to ensure competence and personal safety.
National & International Recognition
- 2008-2012: BBSRC UK postdoctoral fellowship, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- 2012: Won the Agri-net Sandpit funding in collaboration with team of Imperial College London and Royal Holloway University UK.
- 2007-2008: Brain Korea-21 postdoctoral fellowship, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea.
- 2006-2007: Awarded Senior Research Fellow (SRF) by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi, India.
- 2005: Best paper presentation awards in 9th International conferences of Indian Society of Chemist and Biologist.
- 2001-2005: Awarded Junior Research Fellow (JRF) by Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow, India.
- 2002: Qualified UPSLET (state level lectureship test) of University Grants Commission (UGC) New Delhi, India.
Professional Membership of Societies
- Member of Indian society of chemist and biologist CDRI, Lucknow (from 2001).
- Member of Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC, 2009)
My research career has spanned for almost a decade (including PhD and post-doc), and has exposed me to the scientific culture in India, South Korea and United Kingdom. I got some managerial skills as was managing one of the group labs in University of Oxford. In Seoul National University South Korea and University of Oxford, United Kingdom, I have learnt the good points of their education system, which I think could be incorporated in the set-up of an interdisciplinary Indian institute like SNU. Having more than ten years of research and teaching experience in different areas of chemistry, gives me confidence that I can design new courses and conduct them successfully as per the requirements SNU. My post-doctoral experience at different institutions abroad has given me the confidence to perform interdisciplinary research at the highest level, which I am certain is a goal of SNU.