Maya Krishna Rao
Department of Education,
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Email Contact: email@example.com
, BA, Miranda House, Delhi University, 1974
, M.A., Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi, 1977.
Drama and Theatre Arts
, M.A. Leeds University, Leeds, England, 1983.
Drama in Education
, Diploma, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, 2012
, Dept. of Acting, National School of Drama Delhi, 1985-90.
, Perspectives Theatre Company, Nottingham, England UK, 1983-84.
, Leeds Playhouse Theatre-in-Education Company, Leeds, England,1984-85.
, Political Science, Kamala Nehru College, Delhi University, 1977-85.
, National School of Drama, 1990 - 2012.
Devising theatre – multiple expressivities – action, camera, sound/music, text
Instant creations – moving the imagination for improvised performance
The use of drama for community / classroom teaching
‘Going Solo’ – Actor Training - Exploring the principles of Kathakali as a source of improvisation for the contemporary actor, (devised a course for National School of Drama, Delhi)
- Walk, made in response to Delhi bus gang rape in Dec. 2012, 2012
- ‘The Non Stop Feel Good Show’, comedy in episodes, 2013
- ‘Ravanama’, solo, dance theatre, 2011
- ‘Quality Street’, solo, short story by Chimamanda Ngozi Addichie, commissioned by Commonwealth Games, Delhi, 2010
- ‘Are You Home Lady Macbeth?’ cross media performance, 2010
- ‘Hand Over Fist - perspectives on masculinities’, cross media performance as launch of UN programme on masculinities in India, commissioned by UNDP and UNIFEM, Delhi, 2007
- ‘Heads Are Meant for Walking Into’, cross media performance, 2005
- ‘A Deep Fried Jam’, A Deeper Fried Jam’, socio-political multi media cabaret, regenerated versions- 2002 onwards.
- 'Departures', cross media, commissioned by LIFT, (London International Festival of Theatre), London, 1999
- ‘4-Wheel-Drive-“Come-to-me- Mr.Sharma”- Body-Fat-Murdered-Show’, comedy in episodes, several versions, 1998 onwards
- ‘The Job’, solo, based on a short story by Bertolt Brecht, commissioned by Max Mueller Bhavan, Delhi, 1997.
- ‘Khol Do’, solo, dance-theatre, inspired by Saadat Hasan Manto’s short story, Delhi, 1993.
- Street theatre: as founder-member of group,‘ Theatre Union’, scripted, directed, performed ‘Om Swaha’ on dowry and ‘Dafa no.180’ on the Indian law on rape, several shows in colleges, parks, non-formal spaces, 1979-82
National and International Recognition
Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for Acting, 2010
- Trained in Delhi and Kerala, 1961 onwards, specialising in the male role. Several perforances and workshops in India and abroad. Roles played include:
Krishna, Karna, Ravana, Arjuna, Hidimba, Hanuman, Bhima, Damayanti, Surpanakha, Draupadi, Desdemona (Othello)
Select Festivals participated
- Participatory programmes for children, - conceived, scripted and directed around themes of history and society for National School of Drama Theatre-in Education Company: ‘Pandita Ramabai’ (2009), ‘Sciva and Jagli’ (2003),
Dilli Sultanat (1995), ‘Igloo-Igloo’ (1996), ‘Bhagat Singh’ (1986) All these programmes have toured several schools in Delhi and beyond, 1986 onwards
Drama syllabus, formulated for B.El.Ed (Bachelor in Elementary Education), Delhi University, 2008
- Drama syllabus classes I - XII, NCERT (National Council for Educational Resources and Training), 3 Member, drafting committee, 2007.
- Perspectives Theatre Company, Nottingham, England. As member, co-devised, performed and toured theatre shows ‘Story Spinners’ an ‘Piece At Any Price’ to various towns of England,1984.
- Leeds Playhouse Theatre - in - Education (TIE) Company, as member, devised and performed in ;
‘Pow-Wow’, ‘Heiretikos, Or The One Who Chooses’, Leeds 1985, Leeds, England, 1982; ‘A piece At Any Price’, ‘Secret Sisiters’, Nottingham, toured many cities of UK, 1983
- Teacher Workshops: Inner London Education Authority workshop for children, London,1984National School of Drama, for primary school teachers for several Delhi schools , 2003 onwards;
B.El.Ed - Drama for teacher - trainess - Lady Shri Ram, Inst. of Home Economics, Jesus and Mary College, Gargi College, 2003 onwards;,
State Council for Educational Research and Training (SCERT), 2001,2002,
Theatre workshops conducted : Acting / Kathakali / Theatre-in-Education
- American Dance Festival, Durham, USA, 1992,
- London International Festival of Theatre (LIFT, Commissioned work, London, 1997, 1999,
- Nandikar, Calcutta, 1997,
- Prithvi, Mumbai, 1997, 2003,
- Amman Theatre Festival, Amman, Jordan, 1998,
- Sangeet Natak Akademi, Bangalore, Trichur 1998, 1999;
- Centre for Performance Research, Univ. Of Aberystwyth Wales, UK, 1999
- Dancescenen Festival, Munich Germany, 2000
- National School of Drama, Bharat Rang Mahotsav, Delhi, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Restless Gravity, Aberystwyth, Wales, England, 2000,
- Kobenhavns Internationale Teater, Copenhagen, Denmark 2000, 2001
- Kiasma Museum, Helsinki, Finland, 2001
- Jomba! Durban, S.Africa, 2002
- Dancescenen, Munich, Germany, 2003
- House of World Cultures, Berlin, Germany, 2003
- Rangashankara, Bangalore, 2005
- Lille 3000, Theatre Du Nord, Lille, France, 2006
- Kampnagel, Hamburg, Germany 2002, 2007
- Frankfurt Book Fair, Frankfurt, Germany, 2006
- Delhi Arts Festival, Delhi, 2007
- Khoj, performance art, Delhi, 2008
- ARCO Fair, Valladolid, Spain, 2009
- Commonwealth Games, Delhi, 2010
- Ramayana Festival, Adishakti, Ponicherry, 2011
- Maximum India, Washington, 2011
- International Theatre Festival of Kerala, Trichur, 2011
- New Park Theatre Festival, 6-city comedy tour - Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore,
- Ramayana, Cologne, Germany, 2012
- ITFOK (International Theatre Festival of Kerala), Trissur, Kerala, 2013
- Moving Spaces, Kolkata, 2013
Films / documentation on Maya
- Theatre Workshop, Kasauli, India 1981,1982;
- ILEA (Inner London Education Authority), one month summer workshop for children London, 1983,
- Kathakali, several workshops - India, Singapore, USA, UK, 1984-85 onwards
- New Directions in Indian Dance, Max Mueller Bhavan, Delhi, 1993,
- Faiz Centenary Celebrations, Lahore1988,
- Delhi University, devised several street plays / workshops for colleges, 1987,’88,’97, 2000,’01,’02’,
- Woman In Us, all-India theatre performers’ workshop, Mumbai, 1996,
- Drama-in-Education, Blue Bells, Delhi Public School, St.Mary’s, Air Force, Vasant Valley, British School, Sri Ram School, Rishi Valley School, A.P., etc 2002 onwards
- Continuum Arts Project, Luang Prabang, Laos, 2003,
- Kattaikuthu Youth Theatre School, Kanchipuram, Tamilnadu, 2003,
- Women Unlimited, feminist publishers, young writers workshop, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, 2005,
- Sangat, womens orgn., on gender, Kathmandu, 2007,
- Nireeksha, womens’ group, workshop for children, Kottayam, 2005,
- Prithvi, young people’s theatre workshop, Mumbai 2006,
- Punjab University dept. of theatre, Chandigarh, 2001,2007,
- National School of Drama extension programme, Madurai, 1999, Nagaland, 2008, Bangalore, 2012
- Srishti School of Design and Technology, Bangalore, 2008, 2009.
- India Foundation for the Arts, (IFA), Bangalore, schoolteachers’ workshop, 2010.
- Theatre Professionals, school drama teachers, Mumbai, 2011
For more information go to mayakrishnarao.blogspot.com
- Portrait of Maya Krishna Rao, film, Doordarshan, 1997
- Maya Krishna Rao, video notes, Sparrow Women’s’ Documentation Centre, Mumbai.
- Women Who Dared, ed. Ritu Menon, National Book Trust, 2002. (Featured as one among twenty notable living Indian women of last fifty years.)