Department of English
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph.D., M.D.S. University, Ajmer, Rajasthan, 2004
M.A., M.D. University, Rohtak, Haryana, 1997
B.A., M.D. University, Rohtak, Haryana, 1995
13 years teaching experience as Research Associate, Lecturer, Sr. Lecturer and Assistant Professor.
History of English Literature
Indian Political Prose Writings Post 1947
18th Century Prose: Essays, Pamphlets and Diaries
Survey of American Literature
Victorian Novels: Narrative Techniques
English in the Vernacular: Parallels between Victorian Novel and 20th Century Hindi Upanyas
18th and 19th Century Prose
Speech & Pronunciation Rehabilitation
Rain Water Harvesting
- Reading Initiatives for Improvement in Speech, Pronunciation and Comprehension (A one and a half year study with grade 7-12 students)
- Methodology to Improve Speech and Pronunciation among Students who Lisp or Stammer (Evolvement of an effective methodology through correct tongue placement, sound-repetition, speech-training and psychological support)
- Comparative Study: Cinematic Expression of Classics (part of PhD research)
- Rain Water Harvesting (NGO funded small projects aimed at providing water self-sufficiency to the smallest rural unit)
Chapters in Books:
Research Papers in Journals:
- Gatha Sharma, Public Speaking: Finding Your Voice, 10th ed. Pearson Education Ltd. London, ISBN 13: 978-1-292-05998-3
- Gatha Sharma, A Concise Introduction to Linguistics, 9th ed. PEARSON Education Ltd. London , ISBN13: 978-1-292-07389-7.
- Gatha Sharma, Introduction to Communication Disorders, 5th ed. Pearson Education Ltd. London, ISBN 13:978-1-292-05889-4.
- Gatha Sharma, Soft Skills, Global Vision Publishing House, New Delhi, ISBN 13: 978-81-8220-319-8.
Research Papers in Conferences:
- Sharma, Gatha. Exploring Dickens through A Director’s Lens : A Study of the Cinematic Presentation of ‘A Tale of Two Cities’, RupKatha, Dickens Special Edition, 115-121, www.rupkatha.com
- Gatha Sharma, "Changing Face of English Language in India (from 1947 to 2013)" The Criterion Vol. IV, Issue III (June, 2013).
- Smart Gadgets for New Age Teachers, Edge (A Journal on Cutting Edge Technologies in Teaching), Volume1, Issue 3; Sep. 2010
- Electronic Linguistic Devices, Edge (A Journal on Cutting Edge Technologies in Teaching), Volume1, Issue1; March 2010
- Gatha Sharma, “Mudra-Rakshas: An Amalgam of Greek and Indian Sensibilities”, International Conference on “Greek Studies: An Asian Perspective” organized by Department of Language, Literature and Culture Studies, JNU, Feb.25-28, 2014.
- Gatha Sharma, “Bhootnath: The Mysterious World of Aiyars”, International Conference on Translation, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, Dec. 4-6, 2014.
Gatha Sharma believes literature teaches human values and hence wants to inculcate the habit of reading among students. Training students in "listening" is another important area that interests her immensely. Besides teaching, she works for the improvement and preservation of the environment.