Centre for Public Affairs and Critical Theory
School of Humanities and Social Science
Email Contact: email@example.com
PhD in Sociology, JNU, 2012
M.Phil in Sociology, JNU, 2007
M.A. in Sociology, JNU, 2006
B.A. in Sociology, University of Delhi, Hindu College, 2004
2013-2017: Fellow, C-PACT
2012 - 2013: Research Associate for a project titled ‘Asian Cities in the Age of Global Modernity’ with National University of Singapore
2012 - 2013: Research Consultant with A.B. Design Habit, New Delhi.
Visual/Material Cultures/Virtual Cultures, Planned-Obsolescence/After-Life of Things, Body/Image/Representations, Photography/Visual Anthropology
Peer Reviewed Publications (During the tenure with C-PACT)
- Lives in Debt: Narratives of Agrarian Distress and Farmers’ Suicide in Yavatmal and Sangrur (submitted to
- Afterlife of Things in the Liminal Debris of Consumer Culture (submitted to
- Contested Spaces and Resultant Conflicts: Some Aspects of the Agrarian Crisis in India, Review of Market Integration, Vol 7, No 2, 2017 (Sage).
- Currently conceptualizing a book titled ‘For Brand’s Sake: Images of Who-We-Are and Who-We-Want-To-Be’
- Social Circulation of Peer Reviewed Bodies: Consuming Images of the Ideal-Body & Transforming Body-Images for Consumption (submitted to Society and Culture in South Asia)
- Crossing the Line: Caring Across the Borders, Yale Journal of International Affairs, September 29, 2016
- Dark Colors of Cotton, IIC Quarterly, forthcoming issue in October, 2016
- Mind your Language: Their Body, Our Villager in Society and Culture in South Asia, Vol. 2, Issue 2, June 2016
- Co-Author, Re-thinking the Industrial Disputes Act: Labour Relations for New India
- Co-Author, ‘Matters of Life and Debt’ - A Report Submitted to
Reserve Bank of India on Rural Distress and Farmers’ Suicide in Yavatmal and Sangrur, 2016
- River Ending - A visual narrative on degeneration of River Yamuna,
Mass Context, 2013, Issue 19 / Fall 13, p 34-51
Other Publications: (During the tenure with C-PACT)
Visual Narratives/Photo Features
- ‘'The self in the self (i.e.)’, OPEN, Feb 2016, Vol 08, Issue 8, 2015, p14-17
- Can’t Stop Drooling – How the Erotification of the popular media is changing urban desires,OPEN, August 18, 2015.
- Mock, Mock! Who’s Calling? The ironies of outsourcing and the aspirations of an individual,
OPEN, Vol 7, Issue 29, July 27, 2015, P 42-45
- Left Out, Left behind, Left in Between – an Essay, OPEN, Vol 7, issue 22, June 7, 2015, p 30-33
- ‘bluetooth in our bodies’, Himal, June 2016, himalmag.com/bluetooth-in-our-bodies/
- ‘Benaeth the Iron Curtain: Images of Life under Delhi’s Lohapul’,
The Wire, June, 2016
- ‘bluetooth in our bodies’ – Translation of a section of the book 'Bhromonavishar' (2013),
Himal, June 2016
- ‘The Afterlife of the Lifeless at Mayapuri Junkyard’,
The Wire, May 1, 2016
- The Art of Campus Protests - A feature on political graffiti in
The Wire, Jan 26, 2016.
- Sacred and Profane, Action and Pause, Bodaki Crossing – Journal of Literature and Art, Vol 1, 2015
- Phoenix Rising, The Sunday Guardian, November 21, 2015, p 30-31
- Troubled Waters, The Sunday Guardian, Vol 6. Issue 31, August, 2015, p 10-11
- On a Magical Carpet in Varanasi - Open, May 26, 2014, p44-48.
- Museums of Enchanting Past - Millennium Post, April 20, 2014, P IV
- Courting Prospects – A visual narrative on identity issues of a border village in Ladakh, January 09, 2013,
- Exhibited the visual project titled “Inorganic Transplants: afterlife of the lifeless' in India International Centre, April 1-11, 2016. This exhibition is a part of
India Photo Archive Foundation's initiative to curate the works of photographers around the theme of 'waste' & 'recycle'.
- Exhibited in in TRIVENI KALA SANGAM (Open Air Gallery, Mandi House, NOVEMBER 20 - 26 as a part of the BOOKART exploration for the 8th
BOOKAROO LITFEST 2015, supported by Vadehra Art Gallery Bookstore
- Exhibited in Faces in the Dark, 5th - 24th December 2010 at Birla Academy of Arts and Culture, Calcutta
- Exhibited in heard-unheard, December 2010, Artspeak India, New Delhi
- Exhibited brand(e)scape: the changing sur(face) of the city - a solo photography exhibition of work in progress, Nov 3-17 in Arts & Aesthetics Gallery, JNU.
National and International Recognition:
Fellowship for undertaking a visual project on manual scavenging, 2016-2017.
Received Neel Dongre Grants for Excellence in Photography funded by
The India Photo Archive Foundation
to participate in a collaborative photography project on recycling, which was exhibited in
India International Centre
, April 1-11, 2016
Research Associate for ‘Asian Cities in the Age of Global Modernity
’ with National University of Singapore, 2012.
Student Fellow of the Media Fellowship Programme
, Public Service Broadcasting Trust, 2007.
Recipient of 'Student Stipends for Research on the City
, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
is currently a Fellow with the Centre for Public Affairs and Critical Theory, Shiv Nadar University.